Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Summer is Coming

I know it's getting cold for most of you, even if it's only by a few degrees, but over here in Australia, it's getting pretty hot and humid! Coming from Hawaii, I thought I would be used to it, but it made no difference and I'm starting to sweat all day every day! Even in our flat it gets hot, and we only have fans and no air conditioning. And everyone is telling us it only gets hotter. It's going to be really weird having Christmas in this hot climate.
Also, Happy Halloween! Apparently, Australia didn't really start celebrating Halloween until around 5 years ago, and it's still not really that big. We've actually talked to a few people about it, and some people actually want nothing to do with it for some reason, and "try to avoid it at all costs". My companion and I were tempted to go door knocking that night, but unfortunately we had an appointment. And I don't think many Australians would have thought it was as funny as we thought it was if we did that.
Also, to the Pearl City ward back home, thanks for the package! I got it about a week ago, and it was good to hear from you all, and thanks for all the cool trinkets (like the plan of salvation cutouts and the tootbrushes, etc). Also, thank you for the food!
Anyways, things are still rolling along in the Capalaba area. We're still door knocking, and my new companion and I are getting along really well. We've been learning a lot from each other too! So Elder Westbrook, my new companion is from Orem Utah, and he's half Chinese and speaks Mandarin fluently. He just came from the Chinese speaking area's of the mission, so we try to find any Chinese people we can. It's always awesome when they hear someone with an American accent all of a sudden start speaking their language fluently, and the surprised looks on their faces is priceless. So yeah, things are still going good in Capalaba.
I guess I'll leave you all with a spiritual thought, this one comes from Alma 17:3. This is when Alma the Younger meets his fellow brethren (after they had all changed their lives and were serving the Lord), and it reads, "But this is not all; they had given themselves to much prayer and fasting; therefore they had the spirit of prophecy, and the spirit of revelation, and when they taught, they taught with the power and authority of God". This scripture is pretty widely used in missionary work, and when I read it, it reminds me that if I want to teach with power from God, and receive revelation, I have to show Heavenly Father how hard I'm willing to work for it. The sons of Mosiah didn't automatically have amazing testimonies and teaching skills, they prayed and fasted a lot, and showed Heavenly Father their diligence.
Thanks everyone for all your examples, your love, and your support!
Sincerely,
Elder Ho

No comments:

Post a Comment