Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Aloha

​Another good week in Australia! We started it off last pday by going to lunch at a place called... Burrito Bar? I think that's what it was. Anyways it was a special Wednesday deal where you can a drink then any amount of chicken wings that you want for just 25 cents per wing... so we got over a 100 wings for the six of us. It was great!

We also got to participate in a funeral for a nonmember, which was different. Our ward mission leader was asked to conduct a funeral for a friends family member, and the entire family consisted of nonmembers. My companion and I had the opportunity to do the opening and closing prayer, and it was different experience, probably because many of them saw death as "the end". Our ward mission leader pretty much shared the plan of salvation with all of them, which was pretty awesome. We got to talk to all of the family after, and they were really nice!

One of the highlights for my week was one of our dinner appointments, it was with a family called the Appleby's. They're a young couple and had a cute son who was just under a year old. They took us out to one of their favourite Thai restuarants. What was awesome though was that this was one of the very first families that I met on my mission, and brother Appleby was my first ward mission leader! It was really awesome being able to talk about my first ward, Capalaba, and reminisce about our times there. 

Other interesting experiences for the week... while on tradeoffs I got to teach a lady who was coming back to church, and it was a good but interesting experience. The whole time though, I had to play fetch with this super hyper dog by tossing a sock across the room, and by the end of it the sock was quite wet. To make the situation more interesting, every 15 minutes the dog farted, leaving a really weird and awkward smell in the room. Silent but very deadly. She also had a kitten, which thought it was fun to pounce on the dog from around corners as it tried to play fetch. It also didn't understand that claws hurt, and proceeded to use my leg and arms as an escape from the dog, using it's sharp young claws as grip to climb around me as the dog tried to chase it. Just another great missionary visit!
And why the title of Aloha? I had the opportunity to go to a ward Hawaiian night for a bit, and got to see a bit of Hula, eat some food, and hear some music that I haven't heard in over a year, so that was fun! It was definitely interesting and cool though, being able to see their perspective and appreciation for the Hawaiian culture! Later on in the week, we had dinner with a family who had lived in Hawaii, and they talked about their favourite songs and even gave me a bit of the "local snacks" they had brought back with them!
Anyways, for my little spiritual thought for the day, just wanted to say to make the most of time! This life is a time for us to change, prepare to meet God, and become the best we can be, so make the most of it!

Thanks everyone for your love and support,
Elder Ho

Chicken Wings


No comments:

Post a Comment