Tuesday, June 26, 2018

So usually I write down what I plan on emailing about in my planner, so I know what I'm going to email about and have a bunch of great ideas and experiences to share, but this time I forgot my planner, so this email might be a bit short.

So on Sunday I met this guy named brother Williams, who's real cool, and turns out he served his mission in Hawaii! Talked to him a bit more and found out he served in my ward and remembered my dad and some of the other families! So that was fun being able to talk to him, small world. 

Interesting door knocking experiences? Just yesterday we were door knocking and the first door we knock on the street, this guy opens the door. Kinda a taller skinny looking guy, long hair, looked like he hadn't slept in 2 or 3 days, and kinda acted a bit strange. Asked him what he believes his purpose in life is (you know, trying to throw out those inspired soul searching questions), and his answer is, "you wouldn't believe me if I told you". Then I was like, "well, I'm curious". Responded with something like, "serious, you wouldn't believe me". So I was just like, "well, that's ok, but I still want to know..." - eventually he told us. First thing he said was, "you have no idea what I've been through" - yep I knew we were going to be at the door for a while. For the next, maybe 20 minutes, he talked about black wholes, aliens 3, self sustainability, money and corruptions, the Bible, love, evolution... just nod and smile and pretend you're following him. Anyways later on the street we ran into this drunk guy who introduced himself as Kai, really happy guy. Talked about Hawaii being on fire, how he got named after a plumber, and yeah... 

Don't worry, we did have some cool experiences with people wanting us to come back after door knocking into them! It's not all just weird things that happen at the doors. We went door knocking with the YSA again and met this one guy who seemed uninterested at first, but after talking to him for a bit and getting ready to leave, he asked if we had a pamphlet to give him, then asked where our church was located and what time we started, then asked if we could come back! So yeah there you go, a more spiritually orientated door knocking experience.

We also did more moving this past week! We helped move a lot of furniture. Another lesson I learned - Don't buy big beds and mattresses, especially if you live in an apartment complex with thin stairwells and multiple floors. It all worked out in the end though, well, kinda. Couldn't get the bed into the bedroom... but we weren't planning on taking that bed back down. So yeah.

And on Sunday, got to go to a fireside at my old stake center in Cleveland. Well, I've really only had 2 stake centers in my whole mission. But it was good! Got to see some old members and missionaries that I knew, but the highlight - the speakers! First we heard from President Nicholson, he's the ... 1st counsellor I think, in the Cleveland stake presidency. He's blind, and talked about how, to read the Book of Mormon, he had to order a large print version and read it with a huge magnifying glass, word by word. It took 7 years to finish... so yeah we have no excuses right? Talked about a lot of other awesome things too, but just trying to sum up some of the highlights. Second speaker was brother Chad Hymas, apparently one of the top 10 motivational speakers in the world. He had an accident that resulted in him being a quadriplegic. Both of their talks/speeches were super motivational, but some of the main lessons that I got from both of them is that sometimes "all I want to be" isn't what God has in store, but sometimes he has bigger and better plans for us, that the only person stopping me from achieving is me, and that we shouldn't be paralysing ourselves by not being willing to change our beliefs, habits, and behaviours.

Anyways, that's all for today, thanks everyone for your love and support!
Elder Ho




No comments:

Post a Comment