Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Hi everyone! 

So I made it to Australia, and I'm serving in the Capalaba ward. My trainer is Elder Dunlop, and he's from New Zealand. He's been out for 15 months I think, and he's taught me a lot already in just the first 7 or 8 days. The ward seems pretty good too, I've only had one Sunday with them so far though. I'm looking forward to getting to know all the members, and the ones that I've met so far are awesome!
Anyways, Australia is great. The climate and environment is really similar to Hawaii where I am. I think the humidity is the same, the weather is the same, and even the plants are the same. I also got to see my first snake the other day, and also saw a bunch of wallabies, which literally look like baby kangaroos. Also the spiders here look a lot bigger and more deadly. The birds here are crazy, they make weird noises, and some like to attack if we get to close to their kids. I'd say the biggest difference between Australia and Hawaii is the people. The general attitude is very different here, and so is the language. I'm still trying to adjust to the different words they use here and the different accent. Apparently they don't use the word "napkin", and it's simple stuff like that which throws me off. Also, I have to drive on the left side of the road now, which is kinda crazy. My first few days were a bit hectic when I was driving, but I think I'm getting the hang of it now.
Also, sorry for the lack of emails lately, I missed my first P-Day because I was traveling to Australia, then my next one got pushed to Thursday since we were going to the temple on that P-Day. I think we have temple P-Day's once per transfer. Going to the temple was a good experience. The one I went to is quite small, but just as beautiful as the others. The spirit was the same too, and it was nice to head to the temple after a long and busy week. Sorry, there wont be any pictures for a while though, the computers at the library wont let us upload any apparently.
I guess I'll just finish up this email with what I've been learning. One thing I learned is to cherish your time that you have to sleep, because that's all you get. I've learned that there is pretty much never a day you get to sleep in on the mission. I've also really learned to love studying the doctrine, whether it be the Book of Mormon or the Preach My Gospel book. Yes dad, I've been reading it. There is so much to learn from it all, and I feel like two years is not even close to enough time to get to know all the doctrine that I'd need for the mission. My trainer also likes to emphasize a quote which goes something like, "obedience brings blessings, exact obedience brings miracles". Through being obedient, my companion and I are blessed. That's all for this email,
Sincerely,
Elder Ho.

No comments:

Post a Comment